Author Topic: I wish for... newbie friendly games  (Read 3308 times)

May 24, 2010, 01:50:15 pm
So, I have absolutely no idea what your game is going to be about, but I would like to suggest that (speaking as a non gamer) you have a level in your game that's easy enough for non gamers to get through.  All the games I have tried have proved to be too hard either at the start or somewhere along the way, so none of them actually got me into gaming, cause I just keep giving up.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 01:56:06 pm by CWolf »
Sometimes the world is a cruel place.  Actually most of the times.   Pretty much always really.  But we make the best of it!

May 24, 2010, 02:01:02 pm
I think this is a very important point and worth discussing in depth.  Some game types may not immediately lend itself to this kind of control but I think it is possible for all games.

All games could include a 'level' or 'option' to provide lots of hints and tips on how to tackle situations.  Such situations may be on how to hack a large bank system (such as in Root Access) or on how to kill a very hard monster.  By the developers (us) providing the ability to turn this off or adjust the level of help would lend itself to your way of thinking.

I'm sure there are lots of other ways we could go about it.  In the end the more people we can get to play and understand our games (without being too frustrated and quitting) the better our game will be in my opinion.

May 28, 2010, 12:05:55 pm
I'm thinking trainer missions might be the way to go here. Being a hacking centered game, there will be some who feel at ease right away as well as those who feel utterly lost. Gradual guidance could work really well for the latter, I think.
Also links to hacking sources could be provided. For research as well as interesting reading :)
Have I ever given you the impression I was turned off by crazy?